Tablescape Thursday - Memorial Day Table

This is my first ever time participating in Tablescape Thursday! I'm excited.






I've been planning this one for a while, and this past Saturday it just all came together. When we moved into our new home, I promised myself I was going to keep all my decorations organized in tubs and actually decorate for holidays (and not just drag out a couple of knick knacks the day of the holiday - I've been there done that.) Easter was a lot of fun, and I got lots of new things on clearance after the holiday for next year. However, I didn't know about Tablescaping or all these wonderful blogs back then. But now! I had Memorial Day and lots of patriotism to celebrate. We have several military men in our family, and many loved ones are now passed, so it was something I didn't want to be "just another day".



I put this all together late Sat night after everyone had gone to bed, (I usually work nights and it was my night off.) so the lighting isn't the best. My camera is a nice point and shoot one, but even on low-light it's still kind of blurry, so I apologize for some of the fuzzy pics! You can click on these to see larger images.


I'm terrible at remembering to take "before" photos, but the red basket of the centerpiece was a yard sale find for $2.00! I snatched it up as soon as I saw it, and the flowers in it were a total of $4 at Dollar General.


The tablecloth is a vinyl one from Kmart, but I've got 4 kids, and it's a hard habit to get out of. I like the way it looks, even though it's a bit glarish in some of these photos.


My table is really wide, so the tablecloth didn't come down very far down on the sides, so I put my red tablecloth under it that I usually use at Christmas. I love the layered look it makes. Pardon my napping cat on the chair.


I was so glad to get to use the milk glasses my husband's grandmother gave me. They went perfect with the red, white, and blue theme. The stemware glasses were another great yard sale find. I got 9 of them for 50 cents a piece.


The white Target birds went great with the colorscheme too. They're so cute!


The little star tea light candles were also from Kmart. I just loved them. I'd have never even thought of getting them if I hadn't been reading these Tablescape Thursday posts for the last few weeks and see the wonderful way scattered candles look on the tables! You ladies are such a great inspiration!


The tapers are in star shaped candle holders I found at Goodwill. I just love these! (I just realized I took a pic of the one that's chipped. Oh well. Keepin' it real.


The star shaped bowls are from Dollar General. They came in three different color/patterns, and since we needed a setting for six, I got two of each. They were actually the starting point for the whole table. I got two of them a few weeks ago when they first put them out, and then when I decided to use them as salad bowls, I went to other DG stores til I found six total.


The next layer was a plate I ended up using as a bread plate when we actually sat down to eat dinner on Monday. This was the layer I had the most trouble with. I could see in my head exactly what I wanted, but I didn't have any plates like that. I finally lucked out when I went to the Habitat for Humanity store on Saturday. I got a set of 3 salad plates and two bowls in one pattern and another set of 3 salad plates and 2 small dinner plates in another pattern that actually almost matches the first set.

They definitely go well together. And since I had 3 of each, I alternated the patterns at the table.


The red "napkins" are actually kitchen towels I found for $1 each at Ingles grocery store of all places! I wanted 3 red and 3 blue. but they didn't have any blue. I think I prefer how they're all red. It kind of ties all the different settings together.


The dinner plates remind me of the Big Lots dishes everyone seems to have. I actually have these in a setting for 12. I got them at Dollar General when they went on sale 1/2 price. Seems like I got all 12 settings for about $40. My mom always wanted a set of white dishes, and when I saw these, I knew why. They just go with everything. And that was way before I even knew about Tablescaping!





Please stop and see Susan's AMAZING site, Between Naps on the Porch where she hosts what I think is one of the most anticipated events in Bloggerville!

Please comment if you feel so inclined. I get so excited when I see I have a new one and I read them all and I will do my best to reply to every single one. I can't wait to go see everyone else's lovely tables today!

Comments

  1. A very pretty patriotic table. I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patty...Wow...fantastic tablescape! I LOVE it! I especially love those star shaped bowls! They were worth the work to find! I love your candlelight...it's perfect for this beautiful patriotic table! I'm so grateful for all the men in your family who so bravely and honorably serve our great country...please tell them that for me! Can't believe this is your first time participating in TT...your tablescape is fabulous! Hope your Memorial Day was wonderful! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats on your first tablescape! It is so lovely and what a great use of red white and blue. You have some fab bargains and this is so perfect for a family get together too. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a wonderful table! I love the red, white and blue that you have used throughout -- from the tablecloth to the dishes to the centerpiece. And I adore the milk glass glasses!!! (I'm a sucker for anything milk glass) :) Thank you for sharing such a wonderful table!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great red white and blue table! Now you're also ready for the 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the patriotic theme... so pretty. Great star bowls! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice Memorial Day table-the red, white and blue look very patriotic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely patriotic table setting. Just gorgeous.

    Carolyn/A Southerners Notebook

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love a patriotic table! So now I'm on a mission to find some of the star bowls!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job! Love the star shaped bowls. Looking forward to visiting your blog again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome to TT - you've done a great job with your first - can't wait to see more. Thanks for a wonderful share!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful patriotic table!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really great table!! Love the R,W,and B theme!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful patriotic table...love the star candle holders!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely TT! I can't believe that tablecloth is vinyl!!!
    Very nice!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this! I wish I thought to go patriotic. haha!!! it's a wonderful idea to tie it into the holiday. just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much to everyone who has stopped by and for all the comments! It's such a thrill to hear from everyone after reading and looking at your blogs for such a long time. It's so great to find people who "get it". Haha. What a wonderful community! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You've designed a great patriotic tablescape. Love the mix of dishes and star bowls.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great job and attention to every detail. The little star tea lites are really cute.

    Enjoyed,
    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the red, white, and blue theme. Looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Welcome to TT. I love your husbands grandmothers milk glass. When my grandsons come I pull out the same type of tablecloth. Have to make life practical with kids. You have a wonderful tablescape theme. Thanks for sharing and isn't this all so much fun? I will peak at your blog again.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the patriot table. I had some of those star candle holders, where did I put them? Thanks for sharing your lovely table.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Patty YOU DID GREAT! Isn't it fun?
    Except now the wheels are spinning around inside your head about what to do NEXT week! LOL
    Loved the setting. Everything just looks wonderful.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Patty! I love your red white and blue table!! The milk glass looks so great and the star bowls are so much fun! You really put together a great patriotic table!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great patriotic table for Memorial Day. Love those star bowls!

    ReplyDelete
  26. So patriotic. Perfect for the 4th! Oh, and I just love the title of your blog. Come over and visit my blog soon. If you like what you see, don't forget to click on the "Follow" button so we can visit each other often!

    ReplyDelete
  27. GM Patty...I just love this my friend...it just says welcome come join me for good food and talk..What a wonderful table you did here...Thanks for becoming a follower and I also added you to my list...May you have a day day my new friend...hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love your tablescape and can see it used outside as well. I think a trip to DG is in order; I love the little star shaped dishes.

    I hope your Memorial Day was fabulous!

    Nola
    Nashville, TN

    ReplyDelete
  29. I like your new blogger blog look...it really is easier here. Glad you found a way. Your table is so patriotic, so nice. I keep saying I will do a tablescape and it just hasn't happened yet...I may just do exactly how my table looks everyday--empty. :-) Have a great thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congratulations on a fabulous first time tablescape post! I love whimsy and your tablescape is so pretty & whimsical with it's patriotic theme.

    Thank you for your sweet comments on my post. You're right, I think greenery or one of my topiaries would have been a good addition to my birdhouse. Anything to break up the light colored birdhouse against the white wall! Painting the kitchen is on our list of things to do...

    Hugs! ☺ Diane

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a very pretty patriotic tablescape. Love all the stars, the dishes and colors. Great job!...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  32. This really looks great! I love it all, especially the star shaped bowls, I'm wondering if our DG still has some of those!

    So nice that you paid tribute to the men in your family who fought for our freedom!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  33. This may be your first tablescape, but you look like a pro! Great job! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow so many more wonderful comments today! Thank you all so much for your wonderful kind words. I will try to get to everyone's site and post a comment if I haven't already. I can't wait to do this again. I have so many ideas already!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love the centerpiece with the red basket. You can use the basket over and over again and again! Also love the star-shaped bowl..so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Patty, Thank you for checking out my tea party and the nice comment. I love the red,white, and blue theme. my favorite theme. Blessings,DEANIE

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great job! Very pretty table. The tablecloth is great...welcome to TT Thursdays!! I didn't post one this time around...got busy with other projects...but I am trying to stop by everyone's TT's because inspirations are always just a mouse click away!! LOL...Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love getting comments, and I read every one. Thanks for coming by my site and reading my ramblings. I hope you have a wonderful day! -Patty