Longing for the Coast

I never went to the Carolina coast growing up. I was a farm kid and summers meant lazy days fishing and riding bikes and playing in the corn fields and hay lofts. I didn't know about any of my classmates going, but as I got older I learned that I seemed to be the only person in my town who'd never been to Myrtle Beach.

I am 41 years old and I have still never been there... but with songs like Anything But Mine by Kenny Chesney and hearing my old friend from school talk about his vacation and the days and days he'd just lay on the beach while his wife and kids hit the stores and amusement parks... sigh.



The last couple times we've gone to FL, I drove down I 95 and back up the Coastal Highway.  I never realized til I was there that I feel drawn to it. I'd give anything to be able to wake up to seeing the ocean out my window and fresh white sand...  The one problem? My husband does not share my desire for the beach.



I've decided however that since my bedroom is already decorated in a bit of blue, I am going to look for beach art and other decor. I really am hoping I can find a big poster sized print for the wall above my desk so I can look right at it and dream.

I have a few pictures of Mediterranean scenes, and they're going into the master bathroom.

I am hoping to find a bit of money in the budget to pick up the novel Folly Beach this weekend. I saw it at the bookstore last weekend in the store's Summertime Reading display.

Someday... if I'm ever on my own for whatever reason... I think I'm gonna haul this trailer to the coast and spend a lot of time with my toes in the water and my ass in the sand...



Wishin' I was knee deep in the water somewhere...
got the blue sky breeze and it don't seem fair...
only worry in the world is the tide gonna reach my chair.

Comments