Grocery shopping and trying to stick to the budget.

Hello again!

I am SO tired and sleepy!  But I wanted to finally get this post written.

So, as a refresher, or if you're new to my blog, here's the meal plan starting earlier this past week:

This is just dinners:
Mon 11/26: Mom's homemade veggie soup with ground beef  and corn bread on the side
Tues 11/27: Mom's soup beans, mustard greens and corn bread
Wed 11/28: Sloppy Joes (with ground beef), hamburger buns, and potato wedges
Thurs 11/29: Sweet Potato Hash (from Stacey Flowers YT channel) and salad
Fri 11/30: Broccoli Alfredo and any leftover salad
Sat 12/01: Spinach and Beet Buddha Bowl (From Stacey Flowers)
Sun 12/02: 7 Ingredient black bean tacos
Mon 12/03: Mom's Veggie Soup with ground turkey (still have in freezer) and corn bread
Tue 12/04: Black Bean Burgers (Stacey Flowers)
Wed 12/05: Rice Buddha Bowl (Again from Stacey Flowers, seriously check out her channel)
Thurs 12/06: Omelettes with cheese, spinach, onions and green and red bell peppers
Fri 12/07: Red pasta with cream cheese (totally not healthy, but I wanted to change things up)
Sat 12/08: Soup beans, mustard greens, cornbread
Sun 12/09: Quinoa Buddha Bowl (from you guessed it, Stacey Flowers
Mon 12/10: Crockpot Red Beans and rice - using this recipe base from Stacey Flowers :)
Tues 12/11: Thai peanut sauce over sweet potatoes and rice with salad
Wed 12/12: Omelettes with cheese, spinach, green peppers and onions

The ones marked out are ones we have already made. Thursday is when we were out running errands til really late, and ended up coming into a little more money than we had budgeted, so we decided to eat out at a restaurant. Saturday, our soon-to-be-son-in-law was here playing games with my hubby and other guys, and he bought us all dinner, so we didn't have to cook anything.  And today, after church, our son texted us and asked if we were going out to eat after church, and I told him we'd love to, but that's not in our budget yet.  So, he took us out to lunch and the meals were so huge, there'll be plenty for leftovers for dinner.  Though we still might make the spinach and beet Buddha bowls if needed.

Ok, so this grocery shopping trip, which was on Thursday, was based on all the meals on the plan from 11/29 until 12/12. So, basically 2 weeks. There's three of us living here, and my kiddo is online-schooled, so no school breakfasts or lunches. I added things to the list for just the kiddo, like chicken strips and frozen burritos.  Our grocery budget was $138, which comes out to $46 per person for 2 weeks. I know I can get it lower than that on the next trip since this trip included a lot of staples I won't need to get again for a while.

So, here's my grocery list - it was 2 pages - after both shopping trips have been scribbled on it.  The prices written down next to things are prices of the things we bought at SavMor, and the circled amounts are ones I got at Ingles:


I've never really divided up my list into categories before, but I thought it might help me stay focused.  I actually really liked this more than just a jumble of things in a list all over the place. 



There's a couple of circled things, the coconut milk soup base and bay leaves. We decided we were pretty sure we had bay leaves already (I still haven't thought to make sure, I'll go do that when I post this.)   The coconut milk soup base was not at either store we went to, and Ingles is usually the place to go to find odd things. So, I will just use coconut milk, which I already have.

Here's my first receipt from that Thursday night of shopping at SavMor:



This trip included anything on the list that wasn't on sale at other stores.  We lucked out and found a bunch of bags of spinach they'd just marked down to 99 cents a bag, so that was exciting. I had checked the sales papers of two of the other bigger stores in town, and one of them had a great sale going on for quite a few things on the list, but some of it was a special 12pm-closing Friday only deal, so I couldn't get those Thursday.  A few things we did get on this trip that weren't on the original list were a winter/ski hat for hubby to wear at work when he's in the freezer, and 4 cans of tuna for our sick cat to try to get his weight back up and help his coat.

This trip's total was $104.56, so we had $33.44 left. Since we ended up with some extra money that wasn't yet budgeted, we decided to go ahead and get everything left on the list and just see what it all came to, and if it went over the $138 total, then we'd cover it with the extra money, and just make note of how much everything costs at these two stores. My hubby said we needed to also check Walmart first next time.  Just take my list of known prices at the other stores and compare Walmart prices and get anything there that WM has cheaper. (You'd think by age 48, I'd already be like Expert Level shopper LOL, but I just never put that much effort into finding the cheapest prices. I just always shopped at the discount grocery stores and expected them to be cheapest. )

So, on to Shopping Trip 2 on Friday.



The kiddo wanted the 2 for $1 suckers, so I gave in on that. They also needed more Sensodyne toothpaste, so I grabbed that. They didn't have any more of the kitchen size trash bags on the BOGO sale, but they did have the 30 gallon flap tie ones, which I realized were a better deal really.  They were the same price as the kitchen size, but the bags were bigger, and there were more on them in each box. So, I was fine with getting those. I mean, I can't pass up Buy One Get One FREE. I mean that's basically 50% off each thing, which is a great deal. Now I won't need to buy trash bags for a long time.

So, the total spent on groceries this time was $169.69.  We went over the original budget by $39.69, but decided that was okay, since we had money come in that we had not expected, and we wanted to get all of the staples in our pantry and fridge that we will be using for many weeks to come and not need to buy again for a while. So, that comes out to $56.56 per person for 2 weeks.  I think that's still really good. I want to get it to even less, but I'm proud that we kept it at this amount, and the food we got is mostly all healthy.

The hubby is currently making the spinach and beet Buddha Bowl, so there's sweet potatoes and beet slices in the oven roasting, and OMG it smells SO good! I'll try to remember to get some pics of the food and do a post on it tomorrow.

I've got lots of ideas for blog posts.  I want to do one about our "Why"s for following Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University (now we do not own the FPU plan, we're just following what we're learning from other people on the plan, who have been successful and are sharing their journey).  I also want to do one on how we are currently on Baby Step 0, and what we're doing to get current and get our Four Walls secure, so we can move on to Baby Step 1.  This step has turned out to be pretty hard to do, considering that our income is about half of what it used to be when we took on all this debt.   I've also got to do a post and tell you about what a KICK in the butt our church service was today.  Have you ever gone into a new church and absolutely felt "HOME" immediately?  That's what happened today, and then when we found out what the sermon was about... WOW.  The sermons get put online, so I'll link to them when I do the post. But man, it's such a powerful experience when God makes His presence known so obviously.  I still get shivers.  But the best part? - The kiddo is excited to go to the youth group!!!!  Praise God!

Ok, so, if you have any questions about the grocery list or menu or anything, leave me a comment, and I'll check back and answer them! If you want to help out, click on an ad!   Hope your Sunday has been excellent and you have a great week!

Patty

Comments