An unplanned trip to Florida.

We got the word Friday night/Sat morning that Christopher's grandpa had passed away. This news didn't hit as hard as the original news that he'd become unresponsive and would be going into hospice.  This news was more of a relief that he's no longer in pain, and is in a much better place just waiting on his bride to join him again.

The family decided not to do a memorial service at this time. Since his wife, Christopher's grandma, is also not very well off, they will wait and have one big service for them as a couple.

We did all decide for the adults in the family to go down and meet at the house and decide on who gets what, due to the insurance on the belongings in the house having to be cut way down. They used to have an excellent policy, but the company refused to renew it this time since no one technically lives in the house anymore. The new policy that was put on it isn't as good.


I was honored to get to bring home so much of her depressionware, teacups and saucers, a GORGEOUS lamp, and more. we even got Christopher's GREAT grandpa's recliner.

But to me this visit was more about seeing family we hadn't seen in over 2 years. Christopher's sister and brother in law and such great people. They've been the ones in charge of everything from way back, and we are so thankful for them.






They had to fly back out the next day so we didn't get to spend much time with them.  We had a lovely dinner all together at PF Chang's in Orlando followed by dessert at the Cheesecake Factory.

Christopher and his sister.

Christopher explaining the ceiling mural at Cheesecake Factory.
 His Mom also went down there, and will be staying in the house until next year.



Christopher and me at the Millennium Mall outside the restaurants. Beautiful place.

On our way back home, we went up part of the Coastal Highway and stopped in Darien, GA at our favorite restaurant for dinner, and did some sightseeing.  I'll do a separate post on that next.  Then I do one on some of the stuff we brought home.  Christopher's grandmother kept *everything* and had little notes in all sorts of things to tell who something belonged to and what occasion it was given for, etc. It made me realize, I have very little in the way of family heirlooms on my side.  My Granny's stuff was sold at auction when she passed (which my Mom was irate over), and I don't have anything from my Dad's parents or grandparents at all. So, I just have a vase that granny gave me when I was a little girl and I have treasured all these years, and a few things my mom gave me for my hope chest as a teenager.  So, I was in awe at the stuff his Grandma had.

So, I should get those posted soon.