Slightly off track, switching around Day 2 and 3 meals and more discussion of baby step 0.

So, today was supposed to be soupbeans, cornbread and greens day, but I could not fall asleep this morning as quickly as I wanted, and thus didn't want to wake up this afternoon.  I barely got up in time for work, again. So, since the soup beans have to cook for 3 hours, that was just not gonna work out.  So, I had my hubby make sloppy joes, which we had with the baked potatoes he had made yesterday. No veggie was made, which isn't ideal, but it's fine for today.


I'd eaten half of a sloppy joe before I remembered I was gonna blog these things lol.  Not terribly pretty or appetizing looking, but very yummy.

I'm off work tomorrow, so it'll be easy enough to make the soup beans then.  I know I need to figure out how to make mom's soup beans in the crock pot to turn out perfectly as if I made them on the stove.

I'm super excited about doing this shopping trip on Thursday, and trying to keep the total as low as possible, just to see how inexpensive/expensive it will be.  Of course this first trip with have a lot of the things that will become basics and not need to buy again for a while, like seasonings etc, so it'll cost more than future trips.  But it'll give me a really good idea of what to expect.  We do not have a Whole Foods or anything like that around here.  We do have a sort of fancy store called ingles that has bulk beans and nuts etc, so I'll check the prices there first, and then go to Giant Retail Store and then to my favorite discount grocery store, SavMor and compare prices on everything before I buy anything.  I may even be able to just talk my husband into checking prices at Giant Retail Store for certain things after he gets off work tomorrow (later today).  That'll save me a trip in case it's not the cheapest.  I really doubt their prices will be cheaper than SavMor's, but it's possible.  I know the big retail place did have a better deal on Arm & Hammer detergent the last time I bought it, so that surprised me. 

Anyway, I'm excited for this challenge. Also on Thursday, hubby and I have to make a trip to the bigger town nearby and make a payment on one of the loans that we've not been able to make a payment on in forever.  Then they're going to renew it and refinance it so we have a much lower payment and won't be due again until January. That'll be nice, and I think I'm going to contact another loan company we have a big payment through and see if we can refinance with them and try to get lower payments as well. We've paid on them for a long time, and the payment is over $300 a month, so we should have a nice history with them at this point. I can hope anyway. I can't wait to start making regular payments on things again.  I mean, we still can't really do that with our current income, but I'm hoping we get a decent tax refund this year due to our income taking a plunge, and we can get rid of some monthly payments. Right now, we need to get rid of as many payments as we can, so we can meet everyone's minimum payment (At LEAST), and then we'll fund our emergency fund of $1000 and get our life insurances squared away, and then we start on that snowball.

I'm kicking myself for not doing this before, when we actually had a decent income, but I guess we had to hit rock bottom AGAIN before I could commit to this. It's a character flaw.  I know this about me.

I hope y'all are having an awesome week.  I'll try to be back later with a big bowl of the best soup beans ever. Thanks for reading!

Patty

Comments