My Last Night at Work - Tomorrow Starts New Phase


I'm sitting here at work on a break. There were 5 of us remaining when I clocked in.  The day shift guy has now left,  It just leaves me and the mid shift guy and our super visor.  Soon, the mid shift guy and our super will leave. Then the overnight guy comes in and I leave, and he'll be the last one.

The supervisors will be around a few more days to officially pass the tasks over to the new team, but for the rest of us, that's it.

I set up a FB group for all past people who have had this job or any of the past iterations of the job as it evolved over the years. It has 70 members already! This job was always so much more than a job.  I just wish the company we did it all for understood the kind of loyalty they're tossing away.

So, tomorrow, I will fill out the application for unemployment benefits.  As soon as I hear what amount I will be getting, I will apply to healthcare.gov to get a plan that will cover all of Christopher's meds and doctors. He is due for another CT Scan of his kidneys to make sure the cancer hasn't returned or anything else is going on there, so all of that needs to be covered. Thank goodness for the Affordable Care Act!  I know a ton of folks are against it, but I never was.  I remember what it was like to live under the poverty line, and we're about to do it again. I was fine with paying a little more for our insurance through work if it meant people who wouldn't be able to be insured otherwise could get care. I was grateful to be in a position that we could do that.  And now, I am extremely grateful that we'll be able to get it, especially with all of my husband's pre-existing conditions!

Also tomorrow, we HAVE to do a budget. I kind of have an idea of what will be in it. There's a limited amount of money after I went grocery shopping and filed our taxes, (had to get groceries and file our taxes, whether I had the budget done or not - so we'll budget what's left). Some stuff is a given, like car payment and rent.  The rest, we'll figure out.

I hope to get a blog up tomorrow evening or Tuesday morning about how it all went.

Still so surreal...


Comments

  1. I am horrible with knowing what to say but I am thinking of you. I know how hard this time will be.I'm wishing you the best of luck in finding a new job and making things work until you do. I hope that sounds right.
    My mom worked for Maganox for over 40 years, she went in right out of high school. In '03 they shut the plant down and moved it all to Mexico. My mom was 60 years old and lost.
    I kind of know what you're going through having gone through it with mom-you're in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jane! I've been meaning to do a new post about everything that's happened so far, but I just don't even like going into my office anymore. I've been taking some time to just think. I'm sorry to hear that happened to your Mom. I know when Magnavox shut down here, it made Greeneville into a ghost town, and so many people were just lost. It's just sad :(

      A former co-worker found a job he's almost got, just has another interview, and they asked him if he knew anyone else who would be a good fit, and he told them about our whole team and they told him to let them know names and they'd grab applications. But it's phone support, and that's the one thing I have so much anxiety about. I don't mind talking to people on the phone usually, but if I can't help them or remember what I'm supposed to do, or totally screw something up, it's not like emails where there's time to find the answer or pass it off to someone else. But it pays decently and has good benefits. I just have so little self confidence, I can't make myself apply to it. I'm hoping I can work myself up to it. In the meantime, I did apply for unemployment, but it takes time. Also Christopher is now getting 40 hours a week at work. We have no idea how long that will last, and if it means he's suddenly full time and they just didn't tell him, but his supervisor was upset when she found out her wasn't full time and said she'd see what she could do, and then his schedule changed to 40 hours for the next 3 weeks. So who knows! He loves the job and would love to do it full time. So, I'm really hoping that works out at least. Thanks again for your comment and for thinking of me. I really do appreciate it!

      Delete
    2. Good luck if you decide to go for the phone support job. I bet you would be amazing at it but I do understand phone anxiety-I hate phones :)
      I hope Christopher goes full time, I'm sure that will be a help.
      Does he work for Walmart? I can't remember if you've ever said. My oldest works for Walmart.
      I'm not big on praying but I do think about you. I know how it is, I really do. When I was pregnant with my third son, things got to the point that we were looking at living out of our car so I've been there, kind of.

      Delete
    3. He does, yeah. I don't mention it much in my blog posts because I don't know if they go looking for people bad-mouthing their company lol. Not that I have anything bad to say. They've actually been great so far. Thank you! Yeah we've been at this point before too, but I thought those days were behind us. Crazy how easily and quickly it can all slip away.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patty, it sounds like there is some light at the end of the tunnel, with the increase in Christopher's hours and your new job opportunity. Apply! You'll be great at it! And if you get stuck, that's what the hold button is for! Every time I call anywhere I get put on hold at least twice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Crystal! I have decided to go for it. There's another job I found for rating search engines as well, but it's contract work. They both require resumes, so I am going to have Christopher help me with getting mine finished up tomorrow. I am worried the animals will be loud (I have one cat that yowls and cries a lot and a senile old dog that barks at the air), and I might have to move my office to the back bedroom (but my daughter and son-in-law live there during the summer). But I'll give it a go! If they want to hire me anyway.

      Delete
  4. A few posts back you asked if anyone would want to watch cleaning videos of someone who isn't like the rest seem to be. Well, Sophia at My Great Challenge is doing a flylady cleaning and de-cluttering series for the month of February. She invites people to join along and add themselves to her playlist. I remember last time a couple of women had their channels linked that way. There's your target audience, and an invitation from Sophia to join, if you are still interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Thanks Judy! I have watched Sofia before. Love her channel! I'll definitely go check it out! Thank you!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love getting comments, and I read every one. Thanks for coming by my site and reading my ramblings. I hope you have a wonderful day! -Patty