Rescued, repainted and distressed dresser.

So I decided Saturday morning that I was over the whole thing with the matching dresser to Rhiannon's bed.

Instead I headed to the thrift store and got a nice 6 drawer solid wood dresser for $30. I also got a great flat screen monitor for $15, and something else I will be posting about in another post that's for Faelyn and Zoe's room. (** You can see it now here. **)

So, Christopher and the girls helped get the dresser into the house and onto the back porch.
 I forgot to get a before pic when the drawers were in it, but you get the idea.


Rhiannon and I worked on it together and scraped all the stickers off and sanded it down. Then I realized I couldn't find my good paint brush I'd used on the living room, hallway, girls' room and Rhiannon's shelves.  At least I got my money's worth out of it. I didn't want to go back out and buy a brush, so we used a small roller.
Since she wants her room to be blue and yellow, I decided to use the leftover blue paint from Zoe's room.  Then I figured whynot reuse the drawer pulls and just paint them.  The only spray paint I had was purple though.  So I found a small paint brush and tried painting the yellow paint from the shelf project in R's room onto the drawer pulls. I didn't even think about the fact that I had spray metal primer which I should have used.  Anyway, they looked immediately like they were old and had paint chipping off of them. I told Rhiannon not to worry, I'd fix them or replace them, but she LOVED them.  She said she loved the distressed look. HOORAY!  I was already kind of upset that the blue paint was going on with a weird texture due to using the roller, but now it didn't have to be perfect. Yay!

After it and the drawer fronts were dry, I added the yellow pulls back on which I had distressed a little more. Then I used sandpaper and distressed the edges of the dresser and drawers as well as places it would have naturally had wear and tear over the years. I was a little heavier with distressing in some areas than others. But finally I was happy with the end result.



 I hadn't even noticed these feet details til it was painted.

 I love how the top drawers are curved. It gives it nice lines. See how the pulls look old as well?

Pretty scraped up.

Rhiannon absolutely loves it, and that's what matters.

Hopefully soon, I'll be able to get a gallon of a pretty yellow paint and finally get her walls painted. I also want to get just the right fabric for the drapes and tablecloth to go under the plexiglass on her homework table. She decided to make the top of the new dresser her vanity since there is a mirror already on the wall over it and it has better light than the other table. So, she has a separate space for homework, and crafting, and makeup.

When her room is finally all done, I'll do a special post on it. I think it's going to end up very shabby chic French country if that even works together.

I've got a couple more things I want to post about, so hopefully I'll get those in the pipeline tonight.

You all have an awesome week!

Patty

Popular Posts