Mason Jar Pendant Light

I'm finally done with my Hoosier Cabinet and am so excited to show y'all, but I don't have the photos ready yet.  So in the meantime, here's the light fixture I made to put over the kitchen dinette table.

 I got this light fixture at Lowe's. I got the idea originally from their Creative Ideas magazine.


 This is what the fixture looks like out of the package.

Take off the ring that just screws off.


 Take the lid insert of a wide mouth canning jar and poke holes around  the perimeter for venting. Then you need a hole in the middle big enough to fit over the threaded part of the fixture. I used a drill and drilled a bunch of holes in the middle and used tin snips to cut a rough hole.

 Since it's a mini pendant fixture, it takes candelabra bulbs with the small ends.

 See, it's a little one.

 My blue canning jar I wanted to use was a regular mouth jar so I couldn't use it.  So I went to the antique store and found this one which had been sandblasted and was only $5. I'm still on the lookout for a blue widemouth if there is such a thing. I might just paint my own.  We'll see.

I spray painted the lid ring a pretty shiny red. Insert the fixture through the ring.

Put the lid insert onto the threaded part. 

 Then screw on this part.

 Then screw in the light bulb.


Then just screw on the canning jar to the lid. Then install the light fixture in the ceiling as per the directions that come with the fixture. Be sure to turn off the power to the fixture first!

I'll have pics of it hanging over the kitchen table soon.  I'm hoping to do a big "After" kitchen post soon.  Can't wait to have it all done!***UPDATE:  You can see the post with it hanging HERE.***

Hope y'all had a great weekend!

Linking up with Toni at A Bowl Full of Lemons!